What events are likely to be funded?
Event funding from this budget is seed funding – initial money to get an event underway and through the early stages of development.
It is expected that as an event grows it should develop a sustainable business plan and secure sponsorship and/or other funding and revenue so that Whanganui & Partners event funding can lessen and end.
We want to support events that align with our strategic goals. We will prioritise funding for events that:
- Provide direct economic benefit to our local economy and business community
- Promote Whanganui as a positive, vibrant, progressive place
- Bring significant numbers of visitors into Whanganui, providing immediate incremental revenue for tourism-related businesses and a pipeline of new residents and businesses
What won’t be funded?
- Events that directly compete with other Whanganui & Partners funded events
- Individual travel and accommodation expenses related to developing or promoting an event
- Establishment costs for a new organisation
- Organisation or event manager overheads
- Events taking place within the next 3 months may be unlikely to receive funding due to time constraints
What’s the process?
- Download your Event Funding Application form and return by email to Jonathan.Sykes@whanganuiandpartners.nz
- Once completed, your application will be reviewed by our events panel. A decision on funding will be made prior to June 30. You may be required to attend a meeting for the panel to better understand the event.
- Should your application have been successful, Whanganui & Partners will outline the terms of funding being provided. All applications will receive guidance on the decisions made.
- The Whanganui & Partners team will support your event through regular meetings to ensure strong marketing for the event is tied in with overall promotion of Whanganui as a destination.
- Once complete, an event report will be completed to assess the success of the event
Is funding still available?
- Funding for July 2020 to June 2021 is no longer available
- Funding applications for July 2021 to June 2022 are invited from April 1 until May 31
- Funding decisions will be made prior to June 30
- Another window will be announced later in 2021, should any funds remain from the first round of applications
Ok, let’s get started!
Contact us to learn more about our criteria and how to apply for the Event Funding.
Where else can you seek funding for your event?
If your event is not likely to fit with the requirements for this funding there are other options. Visit the Whanganui District Council website Funding Opportunities page.
Interested in holding an event at a Whanganui venue?
Whanganui has a variety of venues suitable for events of all sizes. Accomodation is affordable and the compact city centre is easy to get around. Check out our guide to Holding an Event in Whanganui.