Whanganui is a place of stories. The tradition of story-telling here is hundreds of years old and Whanganui continues to inspire storytellers and the creation of narratives.
Whanganui’s Regional Film Office is based at economic development agency Whanganui & Partners.
Film Whanganui works closely with the New Zealand Film Commission and the Regional Film Office network. Film Whanganui is the first point of contact for screen production enquiries to Whanganui.
We can help with:
- Our Film Directory connects you with industry professionals, locations and crew
- Detailed information on sourcing and accessing Whanganui locations
- Connecting you with local authorities for the river and region
- Assistance securing local crew, assets and logistics including accommodation and catering
- Facilitation of permits
Film Whanganui was established in 2020 and has since been involved in the production of two international feature-length film projects, we have a goal of attracting new screen productions to the city as well as supporting and promoting our local creative industries.
- A regional city of 48,100 people
- Two and a half hour drive from Wellington
- Easy one-hour flight from Auckland
- Experienced local labour force including regular contractors to Weta Workshop, Weta Productions and other production companies (crew, model-making, wardrobe)
- Easy access to spectacular landscape and heritage architecture
- Preserved historic Victorian streetscapes
To find out more about filming in Whanganui, check our guides: